Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Overdrive


So, I've survived my first full rotation and am well into my second. I've learned a couple of things. The first: it's close to impossible to make time to read in your off-duty time. Essentially, I've been reluctant to read because I feel that I'm giving so much of my time to the hospital that it would be an injustice to deprive myself of free time yet again to "do medicine". On the other hand, I recognize that not keeping up with my continued education is going to be a disservice to me.

Truthfully, I'm still waiting for the balance to kick in. There is the thinking that if I just get through another couple of days, I'll finally be settled in enough to dedicate some free time to exercise and reading rather than recovering from the last 30 hours on-call. Maybe I should just bit the bullet, head back to the gym, start up my reading routine, and stop with the delayed gratification BS. It's just so much easier to make excuses!

Secondly, I've learned that the uncertain feeling you have as a med student doesn't wear off simply by graduating. You still report to your senior and your senior still reports to the fellow and the fellow still reports to the attending. There is an uncanny ability to find out an intern; it's in your opening when you call a consultant or in your closing when you try to transfer/admit a patient to the floor. Sure, there is a component of choppy presentations, and an inability to sell your cause, but mostly I think it is the uncertainty with which you communicate. It's easy to discredit your efforts of working up a patient and formulating a plan when your counterpart has the ease of experience and confidence on his side. I make a real effort not to be overly apologetic and stick to my instinct when I have a reasonable argument to back it, however the later it gets into my on-call shift, the more reluctant I am to put in the work. At the end of the day it's far easier to reveal yourself for who you are: a new doctor.

The third: it's impossible to schedule any appointments unless you're post call. With that said, the WORST possible post call activity is sitting in a doctor's office waiting to be seen. Yesterday, I had to get three fillings two hours post MICU call. It was painful. I was exhausted - emotionally and physically - and suddenly having my teeth drilled into seemed like the greatest form of torture. As the tears started pouring down my eyes, it occurred to me that lack of sleep certainly makes you a pitiful wreck of a human being with an inability to think rationally and most definitely an inability to sympathize with anything other than one's own needs. How exactly does this state of being translate into better care for our patients? To top it off my dentist thought it would be interesting to me to talk about his Vietnam experience as a medical professional. I almost passed out right there.

With all of this seemingly depressing commentary, I should add that the experience is made worthwhile by the team you work with and the support you get outside of the hospital. In my current rotation in the MICU, the team effort is great. All the residents are looking out for each other, encouraging you to sign out your tasks for someone else to complete. The nurses give helpful suggestions and have not once made me feel like a klutz when I have to redo my orders a million times and forget to write for morning labs or get a creatinine on a renal failure patient. The attendings cut you slack for the most part because you're new to all of this and your senior forgives you a million times over for creating extra work for them by your inability to dispo confidently. Sometimes I almost look forward to my Q3 call days because I know that means there will be postcall time to spend with my husband, my puppy, and my bed. There's nothing better than banana pancakes and the outlook of a day of rest when you come home. The next day you forget how painful the recovery was, forget how your tooth is still aching, and you hate dentists, and you find the strength to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment